About / History
about the nysga
The New York State Golf Association was officially founded on August 9, 1923, at Yahnundasis Golf Club in New Hartford, NY. It was founded as an Association of Member Clubs represented by elected officers (President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Secretary-Treasurer), an Executive Committee and Member Club delegates. The founding was intended to foster closer and more intimate relations in and among the great body of golfers in New York State and to create an opportunity for an annual tournament which would have an official sanction as a (men's) state championship. The Garden City Country Club volunteered to host the first tournament and 61 entries teed off on October 24, 1923, with the majority of golfers from the metropolitan area.
Today, the NYSGA is an Association of Member Clubs, represented by over 130 Committee Members, that exists for the purpose of promoting and conserving the traditions of golf throughout New York State. Each year since its founding in 1923, the NYSGA has conducted The State Amateur Championships. The eleven current Championships, for all genders and ages, are played on the courses of NYSGA Member Clubs. The NYSGA also provides additional services such as Scholarships, Handicapping, Course Rating & Measuring, Training, Education, and Communications.
To learn more about the History of the NYSGA, browse through the collective history below.